Half Time Position
07 April 2022
Rivers & Lands Conservancy is seeking a skilled fundraiser to join our team as Development Associate and make a meaningful contribution to the conservation of open space in the Inland Empire and throughout Southern California.
Reports To: Co-Executive Director
Job Summary: The Development Associate is a half-time position with the potential option to go full-time.. This person is responsible for assisting in the implementation of RLC’s strategic plan for fund development to raise over $400,000 annually, assisting with our annual gala fundraiser, and working closely with the Co-Executive Director and the Development Committee.
Organization Description: Rivers & Lands Conservancy connects our community to the natural, wild, and open spaces of southern California through land conservation, stewardship, and education. Rivers & Lands Conservancy was established in 1989 as an all-volunteer organization committed to conserving open space in Riverside and surrounding areas. It has grown into a robust, accredited and esteemed land trust holding over 2,700 acres in a four-county region. Over its history, RLC has partnered in conserving over 14,500 acres throughout southern California.
Compensation: $27.00 - $32.00 per hour depending on experience. The job has a flexible part time schedule at approximately 20 hours per week that will be worked by agreement with the Co-Executive Director. This position will be primarily remote with occasional in-person meetings in Riverside and occasional events throughout the Inland Empire. Benefits include paid vacation, paid holidays, and sick time.
To Apply: Applicants should send their resume and a thoughtful cover letter outlining their fit for the role as a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Development Associate – Your Name” as the subject line. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. References will be requested of final candidates.
For More Information: Contact Rebecca K. O’Connor, Co-Executive Director via email at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
- Work with Co-Executive Director and Development Committee to implement fundraising strategy with a goal of increasing individual donor support to $400,000 over a five-year plan
- Maintain donor database, entering gifts, sending timely acknowledgements, and updating donor profiles
- Generate requested reports tracking progress from donor database
- Assist Co-Executive Director in developing donor list for meetings and solicitations
- Coordinate and draft appeals and donor correspondence
- Coordinate and assist in creation of annual reports, quarterly major donor letter, and quarterly newsletter
- Assist in identifying and securing corporate, foundation, state, and federal grants (Experience with writing and reporting of federal grants a plus.)
- Provide direct assistance to Co-Executive Director and Outreach Coordinator in developing and executing annual gala including assisting with securing sponsorships, live and silent auctions, and ticket sales
- Provide staff support at fundraising events for members and major donors
- Assist in communications leading up to events and follow up with event attendees
The Development Associate shall also perform additional tasks and duties as assigned by the Co-Executive Director, consistent with job requirements.
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND CHARACTERISTICS
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 2 years of experience in resource development and fundraising
- A Bachelor’s degree in related field or at least 2 years of additional work experience in non-profit fundraising
- Familiarity with identifying and targeting potential new supporters including individuals and local corporate sponsors for events.
- Track record of securing gifts of $1,000 or more through fundraising appeals and asks
- Experience assisting with major fundraising events
- Track record of managing a budget and reaching fundraising goals
- Proficient with customer or donor CRM (Little Green Light or comparable preferred)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft suite of products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and online meeting platforms (Zoom, Teams) is required
- Experience with Adobe Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat DC, Premier Rush) and WordPress is preferred
- Experience with Social Media Platforms Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn
- Familiarity with land conservation in inland Southern California
- A self-starter, data and deadline driven, and ability to multi-task with solid organizational and time-management skills
- A strong work ethic and a history of excellent customer service
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a highly collaborative team
- Ability to handle confidential information discreetly
- California Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required
- Daily access to a motor vehicle
The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Employee must be able to travel to external meetings and provide occasional physical set-up and breakdown of meetings/events. Employee must also be able to hike, occasionally in steep and/or rugged terrain and in inclement weather.
Download Job Description Here